/*Nothing to see here*/ Grab Two Beers And Meet Me In the F'ing Unknown: Revolution or Terrorism...Is there a line?

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Revolution or Terrorism...Is there a line?

Okay, so this is partially just an excuse to put a picture of Natalie Portman on the blog, who has been wowing audiences since Beautiful Girls. But, seriously, what did you guys think about V for Vendetta? Bishop and I talked about this yesterday, and we both agreed that this is potentailly a pretty dangerous film. I think the question is good, "when is revolution necessary and appropriate?" However, the Revolution in this film does seem borderline terrorist, and do we really want to make a loving hero out of the character V? I mean, this film produced thousands of disciples, who were, in turn, willing to blow up more buildings and kill more people all in the name of revolution? I'm not quite certain about the legitimacy of this. Don't get me wrong, I thought the movie was rather entertaining, visually stunning, and a pretty intriguing story line. But, this politically saturated movie gives the wrong answer to a very interesting question. Everyone should see this movie, but make sure you think when you go see it.

13 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tyler,

i wish i had received your warning to think while seeing it a bit earlier, because i have already bombed a number of buildings across the greater Oklahoma area.

my bad.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger drew said...

ummm.

natalie portman... fox.

ps- that may or may not have been the actual big bird who posted that.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Nate B said...

I'm inclined to agree that the film is dangerous. But only upon the youth of America. Who, considering the "R" rating, probably shouldn't be seeing without adult supervision, if at all. There are people out there who already want to blow us up, and I certainly don't think the movie is going to change that. Anyone who would use a movie like this as inspiriation for violence is on the same level as those guys who blamed their crimes on Grand Theft Auto. The bigger issue, however, is what I believe to be the lack of balance in publicity and praise given to "hot button" movies by Hollywood and institutions like The Academy. Films such as Syriana, V for Vendetta and probably even Brokeback are fascinating and powerful ways of inspiring diologue amongst the movie going public. But just because a movie isn't controversial and doesn't involve major cultural issues or geopolitics does not mean that it can't be great. This somehow seems lost on Hollywood as the major studios and big name actors have spiraled into a contest to see who can make the movie that will piss the most people off and not make any money but still win Best Picture. I'm not asking for less controversial film. It's vital. I'm just asking that the people of entertainment media and filmmakers themselves make the same effort to identify with the American Everyman as they ask us to make to identify with them.

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't post the above comment.

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That’s funny I didn’t like V for Vendetta. I felt like it was predictable and full of propaganda. Was it just me or did the evil British government seem to be a caricature of the Bush Administration? Oh well, to each his own.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Nate B said...

Wait, if the first comment wasn't Big Bird, who could it be?!?!?!?

 
At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my sweet Brick.

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES... My disciples. BAN THE ART. BAN THE ART. I have come to give you life, and life more abundantly.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Nate said...

i agree. i would sleep with natalie portman

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shut up Dobson, don't make me get Buddha, Grishna and everyone else from the ol' gang back together to whoop your ass.

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YYEEEEEHHHHAWWWW I loved me that movie!!! WOOGIEBOOGIE!!!!!!

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to a vigil tonight to honor people's right to Gay Mountain Sex.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home