/*Nothing to see here*/ Grab Two Beers And Meet Me In the F'ing Unknown: Merry Christmas indeed....

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Merry Christmas indeed....

Quick, unfunny story here. I was doing some Christmas shopping for Mandy at Old Navy when I happened to notice one of those little gift wrapping stands outside the store. Well since it was directly en route to Best Buy and I wrap gifts like I have big oven mitts on I decided I would check out how much they were charging. Low and behold it was a church, Garrett Anderson's own Silverdale Baptist to be precise, wrapping gifts and providing coffee. Recognizing the name as the Anderson's old place of worship I started to mingle with the workers, talking about Garrett, Muff, and the whole gang we know and love. At one point I realized that the church was not excepting any donations for either the coffee or the wrapping. They were simply there to provide a service to the community and wish them a Merry Christmas. As I continued to observe I noticed how completely flabbergasted each person was that these people simply wanted to help them by wrapping their gifts for them. One guy came out of Best Buy with like 10 boxes, walked over to have them wrapped, realized they weren't charging him and would only let them wrap three because he felt like he was taking advantage of them. The nice lady who wrapped Mandy's gift simply told him something that would have been cheesy if it hadn't been so sincere: "We are here to share the love we have with everyone."
Well damnit as you all know I don't really like church. I always feel like the church operates on a strict "dangle a carrot in front of you to see how far you'll run for us" philosophy. Whether that carrot be salvation, gift wrapping, what have you. Suffice to say that when I got back in my car I was completely overpowered with emotion by the awesome, unconditional love that these people were showing. Maybe there is more of this kind of thing going on and I just don't want to see it, happy and content as I am in my hardened, embittered shell. But those frickin' Baptists got to me man. Go Baptists man...go Baptists.

4 Comments:

At 4:39 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Yes, Nate B, there are churches out there (and PEOPLE EVEN!) who do actually operate like this group of Baptists that you witnessed first hand. I feel like you in a lot of respects, but I am thankful that there are churches out there that actually practice what they preach with no hidden agendas other than to just love people and care for others. Church as it should be.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Garrett said...

bish, and you wonder where I get it (my love and compassion for all)? and I think those people had another agenda, they were trying to get God on there side and look what happened, it worked! the seahawks have outscored their opponents 88-3 the last two weeks!

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baptist basketball rules!!!!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Nate said...

i think that is really interesting. what i find most interesting is people's reaction to a free gift. interesting that people felt compelled to dop something in return. there is an uncomfortable feeling about getting something good you dont deserve. i've wondered for a while if this is why religions like mormonism are so attractive. at the end of the day you have something to hold up and say yes maybe i do deserve this gift from God. in traditional orthodoxy you have to come into the presence of God like those people coming to get their presents (no pun intended) and receive a free gift

 

Post a Comment

<< Home