/*Nothing to see here*/ Grab Two Beers And Meet Me In the F'ing Unknown

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

10 books

Now for the three books I am going to start out with are poetry books because I have been reading a lot of poetry lately. After the poetry there are 7 additional books which you should read. I’m not saying that this is a list of the top ten books but they are the ten books that I am telling you to read now.

Loving a Woman in Two Worlds - Robert Bly – This book is simply amazing so earthy and real. Love poems without any sap. Any love poem that has the line “I do not love you every night” is okay in my world.

Best Tales of the Yukon - Robert W Service – Amazing poetry from a banker in the Yukon during the gold rush. You want poetry that captures an era and makes you want to leave everything to dig for a few pennies worth of gold dust then read this. Also the characters that Robert W. Service details would make an amazing movie. To get started you should read the poem “The Men Who Don’t Fit In” and then you will see why I like it so much.

Nine Horses - Billy Collins – former poet laureate who proves that one of the best ways to write poetry is to make it funny. Holy crapshit his stuff is good. I would say get any book by him and you wont be disappointed but I’ve canvassed Nine Horses.

Iron John - Robert Bly – It’s like reading John Eldridge without all the bullshit (okay so I guess that means its not like reading John Eldridge at all). This is an amazing book on the different legends and mythologies of manhood. Good to the last drop.

Without Remorse - Tom Clancy – I have never read a book more violent (and I’ve read Mario Puzo) than this book. At the same time I’ve never wanted to don face paint and sneak into Vietnam to save downed US pilots like I did after I read this. This book is all about Jack Clark (a.k.a. John Kelly) who is Tom Clancy’s badass. Because of this book anytime Clancy wanted to kill someone he brought in Jack Clark.

Basic Economics - Thomas Sowell – I’m serious you should read this. Thomas Sowell is one of the best at explaining economics that I have ever read. I used this book heavily for my thesis. If you want to understand economics and don’t want to be an economist… oh yea read this book… seriously.

Book of Honor - Ted Gup – This is the story of CIA operatives that were killed in action. These are stories that aren’t told anywhere else. There were some seriously crazy things going on in the 60’s and 70’s in the CIA. It’s like the Bourne Identity but real.

Salt a World History - Mark Kurlansky – If you like history and you like history and you like the obscure you must own this book. The story of all humanity told though the eyes of salt. Are you kidding me? Can they do that?

Three Nights in August - Buzz Bissinger – Tony LaRussa kicks ass. You know it, I know it, finally it is in a book.

Life After God - Douglas Copeland – You’ve finally found it. A book that deals with the cynicism of generation x and tries to understand man’s relationship with God all in a 3 hour read. Must buy, must read, must never be the same.

10 CD's

James Blunt - Back to Bedlam – If you took Coldplay between Parachutes and Rush of Blood to the Head and threw them in a trash compactor with Damien Rice and then infused it with Tal Bachman’s spirit you would wind up with this album. If you don’t have this album you should be ashamed.

Kasey Chambers - Baricades and Brick Walls – What can I say, Australians can sing country. There is no explanation for this but after you hear this CD there is no explanation required.

Sufjan Stevens – Illinois – This album is an ethereal experience from track 1 (Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, IL) all the way to track 22 (Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run). Never have a heard a better song about bone cancer (track 10) or about a serial killer (track 4). Best Christian music I heave heard since Petra’s Beyond Belief (‘till we reach the next plateau /beyond belief, beyond belief).

Lyle Lovett - Live in Texas – You will finally understand how someone who looks like Lyle could get a girl like Julia Roberts when you hear this album. This covers a wide range of Lyle’s style and has his top 3 songs: Nobody Knows Me, If I Had a Boat (“kiss my ass I bought a boat / I’m going out to sea”) & Closing Time.

Over the Rhine - Drunkard's Prayer – Very underrated group with amazing female vocals. This is their newest album and well worth a listen. Melancholy and hopeful with soft voices causing you to forget you aren’t in heaven quite yet (at least not until you cross that border into Missouri).

Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around – Bro its Johnny Cash. Are you kidding me this is a great album. This album has his version of Hurt on it. There is a mix of covers and his new style with a song or two that remind you of the days when he was stomping out lights at the Grand ‘Ole Opry and being sued by the state of California for starting a forest fire.

The Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music – This album is mellow and folksy. It is great road tripping music and, oddly enough, great music for a rainy day (no one saw that coming).

Damien Rice – Live at Union Station – Okay so this isn’t an album but I got this off of a torrent and wow it is his “O” album but live and even more amazing-er-er. The live version of Delicate will, without a doubt – cause you to slap your grandma.

Ryan Adams – Jacksonville City Nights – So this album isn’t out yet and I have therefore not heard it. Let’s be honest though has Ryan Adams ever let you down? Shit, has Ryan Adams ever let anyone down (besides Sheldon and the lead guitarist of The Cardinals)?

Patty Griffin – Living with Ghosts – Such a great folk singer. Her album 10,000 Kisses blew my mind the first time I heard it and this album is just as good. You should curl up next to the fire with Mandy, put this CD on and show her your big… dvd collection.

8 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger Nate B said...

Nate,
I'm honored you would actually devote so much time and effort to construct such a throurough response to my question. However, I believe that Tony LaRussa is the original cause of the steriod contraversy (Bash Brothers) and is also a robot.

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am missing, why wont you come find me?

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger drew said...

Alright I just have to interject..

If you are talking Damien Rice live, I have bootleg copies of shows in San Fran, Hollywood, Philly, Dublin and Galway Ireland, and they are all way better then Nate's.

One has the only available recording of "Gray Gray Room" and another has "Red Chord (Pulls you back to me Lord) with The Frames" and the Live in Hollywood one (that nate was invited to, but dithed me for katie) has an extended 20+ minute jam session with jazz legend herbie hancock.

All this to say, if you want Damien Live, I am your man.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Nate said...

you're a robot and that 17,000 is an understatement

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Nate said...

let's be honest drew. i turned down damien rice for a youth even of which i was the youth pastor (until i was fired a few weeks later, damnshit).

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger drew said...

same thing damnshit

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone let me know when the book topic is over, unless we are talking about wild at heart or every man's battle and for music I only want to hear about steven curtis and out of eden! hey, has anyone seen my carpet

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Nate B said...

I would like a copy of some or all of this so called bootlegged Damien. And that's JOHN Hancock. Surprised you didn't know that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home